The Department of Neonatology at Burjeel consists of
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) : Newborn infants who require intensive
care after birth for various reasons are admitted to NICU.
- In-patient (IP) unit [Post-natal ward]: All babies who are who are well after birth
are roomed in with mothers.
- Baby Clinic : upon discharge from hospital, all babies are followed up in the
Baby Clinic upto 28 days of age.
Burjeel NICU is a 21 bed unit with 13 Intensive care cots and 8 Special Care Baby Unit
(SCBU) cots. It is a level 3 NICU which offers intensive care for preterm infants
from > 26 weeks gestation and also term infants. It is equipped with the state of the art
Resuscitators, Incubators and other equipment to safely manage premature and term
newborns with complex medical problems. Additionally, this is the largest private level 3
NICU facility in Abu Dhabi.
Support to Parents and Resources to Parents:
- Care of Extreme Premature infants > 26 weeks gestation
- Care of Term infants (newborn infants > 37 weeks gestation)
- Both Conventional Ventilation and High Frequency Oscillation Ventilation (HFOV)
- Therapeutic Hypothermia (Total Body Cooling)
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
- Neonatal Transport Service
- Other Specialist services:
Burjeel NICU team provides support to the parents and family of the infant with a family
centered approach. We understand the needs of the parents and the family when their
newborn is admitted to the NICU. Parents are counseled daily about the condition of the
baby and details of the treatment being provided. The visitation policy has been tailored
for the family allowing parents and grandparents to visit the NICU to see their newborn
Mother and the baby are supported during their stay in the post-natal ward with the
- Newborn Assessment : Newborn infants in the postnatal ward are checked by
experienced doctors in the first 12-24hrs. During this examination your baby is
thoroughly examined from head to toe.
- Breast Feeding Advice : Burjeel hospital encourages and supports mothers to
breastfeed their newborn infants. We have a Lactation Consultant who provides
advice and support to mothers to breastfeed their newborn infants.
- Monitoring for Jaundice : Your baby will be monitored for the development of
significant jaundice by baby friendly device (Transcutaneous Bilirubinometers). If
significant jaundice is detected by this device, your baby will need a blood test
and managed according to the hospital policy.
- Daily Weight and monitoring of vital parameters: Newborn infants lose weight in
the first few days and should start gaining weight over the next few days. Your
baby’s weight is checked daily to identify any significant weight loss and provide
advice to the mothers of those babies with significant weight loss. Vital
parameters like heart rate, respiratory rate, temperature are monitored daily for
- Information Leaflets : We have designed Information Leaflets for parents about
the common neonatal problems in newborn infants. We have also designed a
Baby Booklet which provides clear advice about the commonly encountered
issues. To know more Download the Baby Booklet.
At Burjeel Hospital, we believe in providing support and care for all health issues that
might arise in a baby’s growth, development as well as health. Newborn infants who are
discharged from the hospital are reviewed in the `Baby Clinic` upto 28 days for
monitoring their growth, feeding, jaundice and other issues in this crucial period. We are
pioneers in establishing the 1st Baby Clinic in Abu Dhabi exclusively for Newborn
infants upto 28 days. Key services that we offer in the Baby Clinic as follows :-
- Follow-up of babies discharged from hospital
- Growth & Development clinic: This Clinic is for high risk babies to monitor their
growth & development until the age of 2 yrs. This is run by the Consultant
Neonatologist and is once monthly on the 1st Monday of the month.
- RSV vaccination Clinic: This clinic is mainly for preterm babies who require
vaccination against Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV).
The reputation of a hospital is built on the quality of medical care provided. Hence, stringent standards are in place to recruit world-class medical professionals. Our panel of highly qualified doctors have trained extensively in leading hospitals around the world and possess internationally recognized degrees from Europe, USA and other continents. Combined with state-of-the-art technology, the team delivers exemplary care and treatment following the highest international standards and protocols.